Our dome definitely adheres to what I discovered while I was re-reading David Pearson’s classic The New Natural House Book (see Resources), which came about because David took one of Helmut Zeihe’s workshops we offered.
David talks about the Gaia concept which basically says that Planet Earth is a living breathing entity that has its water systems acting as a human’s blood and arteries and the trees especially as rainforest acting as the lungs.
He has included what is called The Gaia House Charter which I have adopted.
Design for HARMONY with Planet Earth
1. Use the sun, wind and water for most of your energy needs and site and shelter your living space to take advantage of renewable resources.
2. Use GREEN products that are produced with the least amount of energy, environmental and social costs. Use products that are BIODEGRADABLE, easily REUSED and RECYCLED.
3. Use “intelligent” controls in design or renovation of the living space that regulate energy, heating, cooling, water, airflow and lighting.
4. Integrate your home with local ECOSYSTEM and COMPOST, use NATURAL pest control, recycle rainwater, and use low-flush or waterless toilets.
5. Design systems that prevent export of pollution to air, water and soil.
Next post will discuss Design for Peaceful Spirit!
Chief Evangelist & Founder